Patents and utility models
We represent our clients in numerous proceedings concerning the application, defence and enforcement of patents and utility models in all fields of natural sciences and technology.
For the drafting of patent applications, our patent attorneys are in close contact with the inventors. In addition to a deep technical understanding of the invention, it is important for us to know our clients’ business model in order to define the best possible scope of protection.
In the context of strategic patenting, we work with our clients to develop patent portfolios that best support their respective corporate goals. For this purpose, we offer workshops on strategic patenting and so-called “Invention Harvesting”, i.e. the targeted generation of patent applications.
We have been extremely successful for our clients in a very large number of opposition proceedings, in particular before the European Patent Office. We make use of the experience gained from this in the drafting of patent applications
We also regularly represent our clients in enforcing and defending their IP rights in infringement and invalidity proceedings, both on the plaintiff and defendant side.
Other components of our work include the preparation of expert opinions, searches, freedom-to-operate (FTO) analyses and assistance in licensing negotiations. Furthermore, we actively assist clients in setting up a suitable patent strategy in the company and in correctly dealing with rights and obligations under the Employee Inventions Act.
We advise and accompany you in the following areas:
- Patent applications and examination proceedings at home and abroad
- Opposition proceedings before the German Patent and Trade Mark Office (DPMA) and the European Patent Office (EPO)
- Appeal proceedings before the Federal Patent Court (BPatG) and the Boards of Appeal of the EPO
- Infringement proceedings before district courts, higher regional courts, the Federal Court of Justice and the Unified Patent Court (UPC)
- Invalidity proceedings before the Federal Patent Court (BPatG), the Federal Court of Justice and the Unified Patent Court (UPC)
- Employee invention law
- Patent research, expert opinions, IP due diligence and “freedom-to-operate” analyses
- Licensing and cooperation agreements
- Monitoring of patents/utility models
Our legal expertise
Technical innovations are an essential factor of economic success. They can be protected by patents and utility models. In this way, companies secure exclusivity and a resulting long-term competitive advantage.
The registered design - also called "design patent" - protects the appearance of a product. For example, the shape of a product, its surface texture, graphic user interfaces or ornamentation can be protected.
Our areas of expertise in detail
Antibodies, enzymes, biomarkers,
FinTech, AI, Digital Life Science,
HMI, Autonomous Driving,
Solar energy, battery technology, fuel cells, wafer processing,
energy measurement technology
Mechatronics and mechanical engineering
Automotive, medical technology,
3D printing, injection moulding,
fire protection, heat treatment
Printing inks, petrochemicals,